Monday, May 16, 2011

Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson


I think if I actually counted every book I read, I'd be very close to or done the 12-book challenge requirement. However, since I've taken the somewhat unusual route of reviewing books as series when they're all out, this review makes 8. Mistborn is a trilogy, comprised of The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages.

The first book is definitely the strongest of the three. I was hooked on the main character, Vin, a street urchin who finds that she has the powers of a Mistborn and is pulled into a rebellion. I admit that some of her character development is abrupt, but I think Sanderson made a great effort at keeping it (somewhat) realistic. I couldn't put down the first book (think: I slept 4 hours a night for 3 days straight reading this book between work and other commitments, and promptly got sick). The highlights are definitely in the introduction of a new world, new characters, and a new system of magic. Sanderson's magic systems have been recognized as being very creative and new and nuanced, and Mistborn doesn't disappoint in this respect. There are actually 3 systems of magic throughout the books: Allomancy, Feruchemy and Hemalurgy. Sanderson works through them all in some depth, which in my opinion creates a more believable world. It's Sanderson's power in the details that make these books captivating.

The second two books are not as powerful, but still rewarding. I would have liked a happier ending (not that the ending WASN'T happy, but . . . a different happy ending!). However, they don't have the captive power of the first book. If you only read one of the three, go with the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment